Podiatry/Plantar facliitis

Question
Hello , my question is 2 fold, so I hope I'm not intruding too much. I have just found out I have Plantar F. and I looked up info. and found a woman had written a post saying that she has had this condition for a long time and that nothing helps podiatrists, orthotics etc.  In so many words she said live with the discomfort  and save your money because it's nothing but expense.  So I was mildly depressed over this.  this is why I'm here I felt go to the proper source a podiatrist. Is what she says true. Also another problem I have are  bulges on the outside of my ankles.  My mother had this, in adult life and I've had this for a long time, it's not that noticable, of course I don't have nice shapely ankles and when people notice this they make it out to be something terribly wrong, as I said I've had this for a long time. Can't be too serious.  I assume it's some sort of fluid, I have heard not to bother with surgery,  it isn't worth it.  So I haven't. I thought this is some inherited condition. would like to hear your thoughts on this.  thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Jan

There are many causes of heel pain ,one being plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common conditions that we see.  Sure there are cases that can be resistant to treatments just like any other medical condition.  However, the majority of heel pain and plantar fasciitis are treated with simple techniques that are successful.  Most people get complete relief with proper treatments. Also, in our practice we have advanced techniques including EPAT, Shockawave, Laser and Cryosurgery.  So, I would highly recommend that you seek treatment. The longer you wait the more treatment required in many cases. It is also possible that a wrong diagnosis can lead to no relief from treatments. So don't be depressed, you can get rid of heel pain.

The enlargements on the side of the ankles are likely hereditary fat deposits. They are not harmful and I do not recommend having them removed. People that are suggesting that there is something terribly wrong are likely referring to ankle swelling that comes from other medical problems such as high blood pressure, kidney problems and heart problems.  That is totally different.

Hope that helps

Marc Katz DPM
Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry
http://www.theTampaPodiatrist.com  

Podiatry

Dr. Marc Katz