Podiatry/Post-foot surgery pain

Hi, I hope you can help me. A little over a week ago, I had surgery to correct tarsal tunnel syndrome. I think it went well, but I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been hit by a train, everything hurts. Is this normal after a minor surgery, and ill it go away soon? Thank you.

Hi Amber,

Tarsal Tunnel surgery is not a minor surgery.  The tarsal tunnel contains the main nerve a blood vessel that enters the foot.  If you are having increased pain, you need to contact your surgeon to make sure everything is OK.  Communication with your surgeon is essential for proper healing.

Your foot may need to be examined for any possible problems.  Your doctor may check the circulation to your foot and check the incision site to make sure there are no infections.

As any surgical area heals there may be swelling that can increase pain after surgery.  That is typically why you need to ice and elevate after surgery while decreasing activities.

I'm sure everything will be fine but please contact your surgeon.

For more information please check my site:

Dr. Marc Katz

Medical and surgical problems of the foot and ankle. Pain Management of the Foot & Ankle using Advanced Cryosurgical techniques. Regenerative Medicine - Prolotherapy Minimally Invasive Surgical techniques Woundcare, diabetic ulcers and limb salvage. Laser Toenail Fungus Treatment. Specialized techniques for heel pain relief.

Podiatrist in private practice for 22 years in Tampa Florida Education/Credentials I am a board-certified (ABPS)Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) and a certified Foot Cryosurgeon

American Board of Podiatric Surgery Fellow, American Society of Podiatric Surgeons American Podiatric Medical Association Florida Podiatric Medical Association American Professional Wound Care Association Cryostar certified in Foot Cryosurgery

Graduated Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine in 1988 Residency training Arkansas Foot Clinics