Podiatry/Post-foot surgery pain

Question
Hi, I hope you can help me. A little over a week ago, I had surgery to correct tarsal tunnel syndrome. I think it went well, but I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been hit by a train, everything hurts. Is this normal after a minor surgery, and ill it go away soon? Thank you.

Answer
Hi Amber,

Tarsal Tunnel surgery is not a minor surgery.  The tarsal tunnel contains the main nerve a blood vessel that enters the foot.  If you are having increased pain, you need to contact your surgeon to make sure everything is OK.  Communication with your surgeon is essential for proper healing.

Your foot may need to be examined for any possible problems.  Your doctor may check the circulation to your foot and check the incision site to make sure there are no infections.

As any surgical area heals there may be swelling that can increase pain after surgery.  That is typically why you need to ice and elevate after surgery while decreasing activities.

I'm sure everything will be fine but please contact your surgeon.

For more information please check my site: http://www.theTampaPodiatrist.com

Podiatry

Dr. Marc Katz