Podiatry/Cuboid Non-displaced Fracture Question

Hi Dr. Katz,
On September 9, 2013, I stepped off a raised landing and was sent to the ER.  I was told I had an ankle sprain, but after going to the orthopedic and 2 weeks later receiving an MRI, I was told I have thickened ligaments, a non displaced fracture in my cuboid, an ankle sprain, and lots of blood surrounding the area.  I was put in an orthotic boot for about 4 months, and have recently been walking without a boot for the last month-two months. I've done physical therapy for a few times a week for two months, and now visit them once a week to get my ankle massaged and worked on and given new exercises.  My orthopedic doctor told me my body adversly reacts to trauma and I have a lot of scar tissue which is holding me back from my normal range of motion, but I've made a ton of improvements.  Long story short, last Monday I started limping a lot again.  Every morning my ankle is usually tight and it takes about 20 minutes of walking on it for it to be lose and I walk fine.  Then throughout the week it got worse and worse.  It was still tight, and I was walking with a limp.  Once it got to Saturday I could barely walk on it.  My ankle itself doesn't hurt but the area below it where the cuboid is hurts when I push on it.  Could a cuboid bone that was non-displaced and healed in a boot for so long have issues 5 months later?  Is it that my scar tissues breaking up and my ankle is cracking a little and that's why it hurts?  Advice on what to do?  I've been icing and resting as much as I can.

Hi Kim

When you have a fracture you get significant soft tissue damage and you may also damage the joints.  So, I would recommend x-rays and a repeat MRI to see if something new has developed.

In addition, you would likely benefit from orthotic custom inserts made by a podiatrist.
Here is some information on orthotic devices:

Let's see how you do with this treatment and please let me know if you have gotten relief.

Good Luck

Dr. Katz

Dr. Marc Katz

Medical and surgical problems of the foot and ankle. Pain Management of the Foot & Ankle using Advanced Cryosurgical techniques. Regenerative Medicine - Prolotherapy Minimally Invasive Surgical techniques Woundcare, diabetic ulcers and limb salvage. Laser Toenail Fungus Treatment. Specialized techniques for heel pain relief.

Podiatrist in private practice for 22 years in Tampa Florida Education/Credentials I am a board-certified (ABPS)Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) and a certified Foot Cryosurgeon

American Board of Podiatric Surgery Fellow, American Society of Podiatric Surgeons American Podiatric Medical Association Florida Podiatric Medical Association American Professional Wound Care Association Cryostar certified in Foot Cryosurgery

Graduated Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine in 1988 Residency training Arkansas Foot Clinics