Podiatry/excessive forefoot splay and pronation

Question
Hello, I am a 55 year old male, almost 14 years ago I had a double calcaneal osteotmy to correct stage two PTTD. In the last year I notice that my forefoot is splaying and I had some  pronation. I had trouble finding the right size footwear due to the fact that I wear a 9 B width. I was mostly wearing a 9 D width shoe. I now have knee instability in the knee where the surgery was done. I am wondering can this cause knee instability in the knee ? I have a appointment to see a orthopedic dr. What do you suggest until I can see him in 4 weeks ?
Thank You.
Doug.

Answer
Hi Doug

I would see a podiatrist and get custom orthotic devices.  Orthopedic doctors specialize in surgery and are not experts when it comes to orthotic devices. That is usually all you will need. This will help with the forefoot splay and should then allow your knee to function more normally with less pain. You may also consider physical therapy. I would avoid further surgery until you try this option.

Here is information on orthotic devices:
http://www.thetampapodiatrist.com/arch-supports-orthotics.html

Podiatry

Dr. Marc Katz