Podiatry/excessive forefoot splay and pronation

Hello, I am a 55 year old male, almost 14 years ago I had a double calcaneal osteotmy to correct stage two PTTD. In the last year I notice that my forefoot is splaying and I had some  pronation. I had trouble finding the right size footwear due to the fact that I wear a 9 B width. I was mostly wearing a 9 D width shoe. I now have knee instability in the knee where the surgery was done. I am wondering can this cause knee instability in the knee ? I have a appointment to see a orthopedic dr. What do you suggest until I can see him in 4 weeks ?
Thank You.

Hi Doug

I would see a podiatrist and get custom orthotic devices.  Orthopedic doctors specialize in surgery and are not experts when it comes to orthotic devices. That is usually all you will need. This will help with the forefoot splay and should then allow your knee to function more normally with less pain. You may also consider physical therapy. I would avoid further surgery until you try this option.

Here is information on orthotic devices:

Dr. Marc Katz

Medical and surgical problems of the foot and ankle. Pain Management of the Foot & Ankle using Advanced Cryosurgical techniques. Regenerative Medicine - Prolotherapy Minimally Invasive Surgical techniques Woundcare, diabetic ulcers and limb salvage. Laser Toenail Fungus Treatment. Specialized techniques for heel pain relief.

Podiatrist in private practice for 22 years in Tampa Florida Education/Credentials I am a board-certified (ABPS)Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) and a certified Foot Cryosurgeon

American Board of Podiatric Surgery Fellow, American Society of Podiatric Surgeons American Podiatric Medical Association Florida Podiatric Medical Association American Professional Wound Care Association Cryostar certified in Foot Cryosurgery

Graduated Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine in 1988 Residency training Arkansas Foot Clinics