Podiatry/Out Toeing in baby

Question
Hi - I have an 8.5 month old son. He's developing fine and as of 3-4 weeks really enjoys standing - doesnt walk yet but likes to stand and move his feet forward, but not what you'd consider walking. He pulls to a stand and I noticed when doing so he ends up with feet pointed outward. Doesnt seem to bother him. When he sleeps or is in other positions, the feet move around both in and out. I twist his feet and they both move freely. I read that normal development is baby can out toe as they learn to stand/walk. My pediatrician didnt seem concerned, but of course as a mom (especially first time), I dont know what to expect. His feet and legs look normal to me. Will he outgrow this once he does walk, or do I need to have this evaluated by a foot specialist now before he walks?

Thanks,
Eva

Answer
Hi Eva

Sorry for the delay.  Out toeing in your son's age group is typically normal.  In toeing on the other hand may be abnormal. Typically as your son grows, his feet will come into more normal alignment as various growth areas mature, muscles get stronger and bones/joints rotate.  This is the normal progression. If you continue to have concern, I would see a podiatrist that treats pediatric conditions to make sure that everything is OK.  This is a common concern of many parents.

If you have questions about deformities feel free to check my site:
http://www.thetampapodiatrist.com

Sincerely,

Dr. Marc Katz
Tampa, FL
Advanced Podiatry

Podiatry

Dr. Marc Katz