Podiatry/bunion

Question
Good day to you,Leslie.

Yesterday I cancelled my bunion operation.This is what happened.I'm 47 years old, and I have a  bunion since I was a teenager. As far as I remember,it didn't change the past 15 years,being a moderate bunion all the time.When I wear comfortable shoes and do not bother the bunion,it is not painful,and when I wear stylish shoes more narrow and heels more than 1 inch,it gives me a pain, but still  it goes away in a while, or after I  massage it.

A podiatrist said that it would be good if I would fix it,because in any case, after menopause it could be severe and more painful then it is now.After researching on the topic, I came to the conclusion that I need to do operation:the earlier it happens, it would be better for me.Recently,I found out that many surgeons say that if you can avoid the operation, do not do it,because it can have some complications with  bones,nerves,sweling, numbness etc.

Please,I would like to hear your oppinion,Leslie.

Thank you for your volunteering time.
Violeta

Answer
Violeta,

This is what I tell my patients: Unless your bunion is causing pain on a day-to-day basis or inhibiting you from performing activities, I do not advise surgery.

I have plenty of older patients that have severe bunions but do not have pain.  Saying there is a possibility that you may have pain after menopause is not reason enough for me to perform surgery on someone.

There are complications with any surgery, at any age with bunionectomies.  Most commonly people develop persistent swelling, numbness or burning from nerve entrapment due to scarring, and a bunion always has a risk of recurring.

In my opinion, it doesn't sound like I would advise surgery.  Avoid shoes that cause pain.  Use orthotics (custom inserts) for tennis shoes or dress shoes to reduce pressure to the area.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Dr. Leslie Johnston

Podiatry

Leslie Johnston