Podiatry/Lump in foot.

Question
I have a small pea sized painless hard lump on the side of my foot 5th metatarsal. I saw a doctor and he said to come back if it starts hurting or gets bigger. I am very worried though. I dont know what it is or if it could be cancer. Thank you for your time. I am 51 yrs old

Answer
Hi, Sue,

Thank you for taking the time to write.  Without seeing your foot, I can't give you an exact answer, but it sounds like either the lump is an accessory bone, a thickening of the peroneus brevis tendon, or (most likely) a cyst. Ganglion cysts are not unusual in the foot (as well as the wrists or other jointed areas), and if that's what you have, I absolutely wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  They, and most lumps in the foot, are benign.  However, if you are concerned, I would recommend that you see another doctor (preferably a podiatrist, as we are highly specialized and extremely well-trained in foot and ankle conditions).  Ask that doctor (or go back to the doctor you saw and ask) specifically what they believe the lump is.  Ask them to write down the name, and if they don't explain it clearly, or if you want a little more reassurance, you can look it up online for yourself.

Just one word of advice: don't believe everything you read or see online.  It's not always accurate, so check multiple websites (preferably the reputable, medically-based ones, and not just a blog or an online chat/conversation) before you decide what to believe.  You can also go back to the doctor after researching it, and ask for clarification/verification.

I hope this helps.  Again, I can't give you an accurate answer without examining your foot myself, but I suggest that you try one of the things I suggested.  Best of luck to you, and hopefully you find answers soon so that your mind can be put at ease.  I would not suspect cancer, but again, it's best if you see a doctor who can fully examine your foot.

Wishing you health, happiness, and peace,
Dr. Bodart

Podiatry

Dr. Amy Bodart