Podiatry/5th metarasal fracture

Dr. Bodart,

Thank you so much for your time.  I re-fractured my 5th metatarsal this past weekend.  I went to my doctor today and got a referal.  I am not seeing a orthopedic doctor until next week.  In the meantime the doctor told me that since it wasn't hurting me a lot or swollen, that a boot should be ok until I see the orthopedic doctor.  I read that for 5th metarsal fractures, a tall boot is recommended, but my old one is so cumbersome.  Would one of the short ones be ok?

Thank you,

Hi, Tanya,

Sorry to hear that you re-fractured your 5th metatarsal!  I also apologize for taking so long to get back to you.  A tall boot is better because the muscle that attaches to the 5th metatarsal is less likely to fire (and that muscle, the peroneus brevis, can pull the fracture further apart).  Still, a short boot is much better than nothing.

Hope this helps, and again, I apologize for the long delay.

Wishing you health, happiness, and peace,
Dr. Bodart

Dr. Amy Bodart

Questions relating to podiatry: medicine and surgery of the foot, ankle, and distal leg

Associate at Advanced Podiatry, 2919 W Swann Ave, Tampa, FL 33609

Graduated from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine in Cleveland, OH 3-year forefoot and rearfoot residency training from Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami, FL