Podiatry/Pain in feet

Recently, I have noticed a pain in both of my feet, slightly moreso in the left foot. It feels like it's under the second metatarsal- it may be in between the first and second metatarsals-midway up the foot from the toe. It is noticeable if I squeeze both sides of my foot slightly or if I hit the outside lateral of my foot on something, however in the morning is when I feel it worse in both feet. I find it a bit difficult to walk in the morning because of the pain, but walking is the only thing that makes it feel better. I'm 21 and I workout regularly. I'm guessing I might have landed wrong on my foot during a workout. What does it sound like to you? Should I stop working out to avoid further damage and injury?

Hi Justin,

Sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing!  If I were you, I would see a podiatrist and try to get some X-rays of your feet.  It sounds like it could either be a neuroma, tendinitis, or a stress fracture (which is less likely but needs to be considered).  If it's a stress fracture and you continue working out, you have the potential of creating a complete fracture.  Similarly, if a neuroma or tendinitis, you would want to rest it in order to allow the inflammation to go down.  Sometimes taking an anti-inflammatory such as Advil, Aleve, or Ibuprofen can be helpful, as these medications decrease pain and swelling (while medicines such as Tylenol or aspirin only relieve pain).

I hope this helps.  The good news is that you will most likely be able to work out again, probably fairly soon if you really rest it and get it checked out, and you can always work on your upper body while giving your feet a break.

Wishing you health, happiness, and peace,
Dr. Bodart

Dr. Amy Bodart

Questions relating to podiatry: medicine and surgery of the foot, ankle, and distal leg

Associate at Advanced Podiatry, 2919 W Swann Ave, Tampa, FL 33609 www.TheTampaPodiatrist.com

Graduated from the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine in Cleveland, OH 3-year forefoot and rearfoot residency training from Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami, FL