Podiatry/Too old for sports?

Question
I am 56. I am also overweight, and out of shape. Up until my late forties, I was still able to play pick up soccer with my co-workers. During the last game, I suffered a meniscus tear in one knee, and a pulled ligament in the other. Before that I got a bad case of plantar faciitis in one foot from running on a hard pitch. That healed, but recently flared up again after being on strike and walking the picket line. I am just getting over it. I am a slow healer, and all of those injuries took a long time to heal, and they needed physio,an operation for the knee, and accupuncture and cortisone shots for the foot. Just lately I feel real good, injury and pain free, and am losing a bit of weight. Here is my 'issue':
My co-workers, all of whom are younger than me, keep inviting me out to play, now that I am 'healed'. I admit I am very tempted! The mind is willing but the flesh is weak. I would love to go out for fun, but I feel I will just re injure myself again. Am I better to just watch from the sidelines these days, or should I join in? For that matter, is there an age when doctors reccommend that guys should hang up the cleats for good, and concentrate on less physical exercise to avoid injury? Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Dear Bud,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Ukrainian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says
Continue with a good diet & exercise to your tolerance level. Perhaps wear a knee brace for protection.
Never hang it up-lot's of fit people in their sixties, always find an exercise that will raise your heart rate. Exercise 3x a week for 45 minutes, up to 4 times a week 75 minutes-mild to moderate intensity.
Hope this helps & Good Luck

Dr George Tsatsos, Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera, Dr Massard & Dr KurtzhaChicago 60618 & 60622, Elmhurst 60126, Bartlett 60103 Podiatrists
Board Certified swimming or wearing a knee bin Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further el

Podiatry

Dr George Tsatsos