Podiatry/5th metatarsal fracture surgery

Question
Dr. Tsatsos,

Thank you for your time and service.  I fractured my 5th metatarsal a few months back and it would not heal.  I had surgery 5 weeks ago.  I had a screw put in with bone aspiration.  I have been on crutches since then.  I go in next week for my first post-op xray. This has been a long process and I am so anxious to get back to walking.  I am so nervous to get the results.  My foot hasn't swelled in 3 weeks.  It only hurts occasionally.
I have tripped a few times on my crutches and stepped on the foot but it didn't hurt or swell afterward.  I guess my question is to give me hope that I will be able to walk without crutches.  Does this surgery usually have good results?  Do most people start walking without crutches at 6 weeks post-opt?  Is there any supplement that can speed up healing?  Thank you again.

Answer
Dear Jose,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Ukrainian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says,

Any concerns post-operatively should be discussed with the surgeon, since they are the person who did the 5th metatarsal repair.

Hope this helps & Good Luck

Dr George Tsatsos, Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera, Dr Massard & Dr Kurtz
Chicago 60661, 60618 & 60622, Elmhurst 60126, Bartlett 60103 Podiatrists
Board Certified swimming or wearing a knee bin Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Podiatry

Dr George Tsatsos