Poetry/"The Full Moon"- Robert Graves

Question
What is "The Full Moon" by Robert Graves about? What does it mean and does it have a deeper meaning? I was thinking of basing an art project on it but do not really get what some of it means, especially the 3rd and 4th verses. http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/full-moon-25/

Answer
Dear Fifi,

The speaker goes out to meet a lover, but it turns out that their love, if it ever existed, has now become cold.  Instead of a romantic tryst, their meeting is like statues in a government building glaring at each other.  

Both lovers wear masks of the moon and appear as phantoms to each other. As they gaze into each other's eyes, some "grey distraction" comes between them.  We aren't told exactly what that distraction is but it "cloud[s] the eager flame of love"; the "tyrannous queen above" is the moon, usually a symbol of romance to a couple in love, but for this couple, the moon moves their fate to simply glare at each other as the aforementioned statues.

Hope this helps.

Poetry

Linda Sue Grimes -- Classic Poetry Aide