Poetry/poetry and rap

Thanking you in advance to your contribution to the answers on this site. I am a third year university student from London currently under going my dissertation in which I have chosen to discuss the similarities and differences between rap and poetry and why rap is not often excepted as a form of poetry on a wider scale.
I would very much appreciate your opinion and invite you to be as brutally honest as you wish. Here are my questions:
1.   Describe in your own words your definition of what is poetry?
2.   As a poetry critic are you more in favour of a more traditional form of poetry?
3.   Through your own understanding, would you consider rap as a form of poetry?
4.   Do existing stereotypes or/and prejudices separate poetry from rap?
5.   Poetry has long been seen as being very articulate, perhaps only worthy of an intelligent few from a more privileged background. Is this assumption accurate, if so why do you think this is?
6.   What is it that is so articulate about poetry that rap is lacking?
7.   Why is it that despite the fact that William Shakespeare came from a slightly different background he is often seen as a poster child for elitism painted as being this upper class figure who spoke the Queen’s English (Received Pronunciation)?
8.   Is there a Perception that people from urban inner city communities are often incapable of being able to put together intelligent writing/poetry hence there versions not being viewed in the same way?

Dear calum bolt,

Here are my responses to your questions:

1.  Poetry is the dramatization of human emotion.
2.  I favor all forms of poetry.
3.  Depends on the particular piece.
4.  For some people yes, for others no.
5.  I do not accept that premise.
6.  Again, depends on the particular piece.
7.  I am with the Oxfordians, who claim that “William Shakespeare” is the pen-name for Edward de Vere, who was, in fact, upper class and did speak the “Queen’s English.”
8.  Some of those inner city folks are thus incapable while others are perfectly capable.

Hope this helps.

Linda Sue Grimes -- Classic Poetry Aide

Please be aware that my field of expertise is "Classic Poetry." I do not study and write about Hallmark-Card type verse, doggerel, or pornographic versification.

I assist students/readers in understanding the poems most widely studied in high school and college English classes, for example, Emily Dickinson's "Because I could not stop for death," A. E. Housman's "Loveliest of trees," Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken," W. B. Yeats' "The Second Coming," Rabindranath Tagore's "The Journey," Robert Hayden's "Those Winter Sundays," Dana Gioia’s "Words." I direct students/readers to online poetry analyses and/or research sources.

I do not dispense advice on creative writing issues, such as critiquing poems or offering ideas for poems.

Something controversial or provocative about this subject:

Poetry is not so difficult . . . but the claim that "a poem can mean anything you want it to mean" is absurd . . . while there may be room for interpretation, poems are not like clay that you can shape into anything your choose . . . poets express feelings, thoughts, experience . . . the notion that anything a poet writes is as malleable as a piece of modeling clay is insulting and demonstrates ignorance of what poetry, nay language itself, is all about . . . language--including poetry and all other art forms--is about communication . . . if you denigrate "meaning" as a component of poetry, you fail to communicate . . . failure to communicate begins with the lazy mind . . .

2003 - present AllExperts volunteer

2006 - 2015 Suite101, later called

2015 - present, writer at HubPages

Maya Shedd's Temple

1967 Miami University, B.A. Major in German

1971 Ball State University M.A. German/English

1984 Ball State University M.A. English

1987 Ball state University Ph.D. American, British, World Literature, Rhetoric and Composition

The Daily Spirit