Poetry/Poem title and author

Question
Years ago I wrote the script for a celebration of America's bicentennial. I recently rediscovered my forgotten script, and in the margin, written in pencil, is my note "This section is taken from a long narrative poem  called "Pilgrim Passage" by Stephen V. Benet. To verify my notation, I have been searching for such a poem but cannot find it. Can you help?

Here is a portion of the poem that I used:

"Have you heard the news of Virginia? Golden Virginia across the sea! Spread the news!
Let it sink in the hearts of the strange, plain men
Already at odds with government and church,
The men who read their Bibles late in the night,
Dissenter and non-conformist and Puritan....
This year the small band made its decision....."

And later:

"She was a strong ship, with here double decks
High-sterned, slow-moving, chunky, hard to wear out,
Long in the wine trade, smelling of it still.
Slow, roomy, durable, smelling of salt and wine,
A housewife of a ship, not a gallant lady
Who would groan at storms, but get through them and get home,
Like a housewife plodding, market-basket in hand --
The Mayflower -- a common name for ships --"

Anything you can tell me will be greatly appreciated.

The best to you.
Raymond

Answer
Dear Raymond,

This is all I could find:  a poem titled "The Western Star" that contains some of the lines from your quotation:

The Western Star

Gather them up the bright and drowning stars,
The disinherited, the dispossessed,
Have you heard the news from Virginia?
Workless, hopeless, harried by law and the state
Let it sink in the hearts of plain men,
Oh, spread the news
The news of golden Virginia across the sea,
I hear a sound
Like the first, faint roll of thunder, but it is far away
Have you heard the news of Virginia?

Located at http://aeuleaders.net/a/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/20011125spetter_land_that_i_l

Hope this helps.  

Poetry

Linda Sue Grimes -- Classic Poetry Aide