Poetry/identifying a poem

Question
I'm reading Agatha Christie's Halloween Party, a Hercule Poirot mystery.  There is an italicized quote that I presume is from a poem:  "My mother said I never should, play with the children in the wood."  Can you identify the poem?  Thank you.

Answer
David,

I do not recognize that quotation.  I doubt it is from any classic poem.  

I find it odd that a comma separates the subject from the predicate in that sentence.  No poet or decent prose writer would do that. Suppose the lines were written,

"My mother said I never should,
Play with the children in the wood."

there would especially be no need for a comma.

As a side note, not everything with a rime comes from a poem.

Hope this helps.

Poetry

Linda Sue Grimes -- Classic Poetry Aide