Poker/Limit Texas Hold'em

Do you play any fixed limit holdem poker? If so would you bet turn with a non pair missed why or why not verse one player?

I have played limit Texas Hold'em, but these days stick to the no-limit game.  

As with most situations in poker the answer is "It Depends".  Factors to consider are:

How many players started the hand and what's your position?
  What was the pre-flop and flop betting?
  Is this a tournament or a cash game?
  What are your stack sizes relative to the big bet?
  Which hands can you represent and which can your opponent represent?
  How does your opponent perceive your table image?
  What range of hands do you put your opponent on?

There are probably many other factors to consider before betting the turn as a pure bluff.  Here are two extreme scenarios:

Scenario #1:
All 9 opponents limp to me in the big blind pre-flop.  We hold 3c-2s and check.  The flop is Qs-Js-Ts.  It's checked to a middle-position player bets and we're the only caller.  The turn is the 7c and we miss.  We're first to act.  I'm checking 100% of the time here.

Scenario #2:
The small blind opened the action for a raise and we called from the big blind.  The villain checks a flop of Ac-Kd-2s and checks again when a 6h hits the turn.  I'm betting 100% of the time regardless of my holdings.

So, you can see that there is no hard and fast rule when it comes to this situation.  It all depends.

Good luck!

QUESTION: I can't quite figure out what equity I need in fixed limit for a pocket pair and for ace high and maybe king high verse one player and then verse two and three etc and then does it change in a 3 bet pot.  If I knew the exact hands he played what equity do I need with ace high to call the turn first in 6 handed verse one opponent with ace king or ace queen and then what equity on river?

This is an easier question to answer.  Let me provide a couple scenarios.  In both I'll assume we're playing 6-handed limit Texas Hold'em with $1/$2 blinds.

Scenario #1: One Opponent
Let's assume that there is $12 in the pot and we're heads-up on the turn and in position.  Our opponent leads out for $4.  We're now faced with a call of $4 to win the $16 pot.  This means that for our call with Ace high to be profitable we must win 1 in 5 times.  A quick method to calculate this at the table is to divide your call into the pot size and then add 1.  So ($16/$4)+1=5.  If you think your opponent will show up with worse than Ace high one out of 5 times, or 20% of the time, then calling is a break-even move.  If he's got worse than Ace high more than 20% of the time, then calling is +EV.

Scenario #2:  Two Opponents
Let's assume there is the same $12 in the pot but we're 3-handed and in position.  The first player to act leads for $4 on the turn and is called.  There's now $20 in the pot and it's $4 to call.  Applying what we've learned above we only need to be ahead 1 in 6 times, or 16%, to correctly call.  The problem with more than 1 opponent is that now we have to beat them both at the same time.  This has a multiplying effect.  If you have Opponent 1 beaten 1-out-of-6 times, and have Opponent 2 beaten 1-out-of-6 times, then you'll only have them both beaten 1-out-of-36 times.  To imagine this multiplying effect in another way, let's assume we're rolling a single dice where high number wins.  You've rolled a 2 in this scenario.  You have Opponent 1 beaten 1-out-of-6 rolls (i.e. you only beat  him if he rolls a 1)  You also have Opponent 2 beaten 1-out-of-6 times for the same reasons.  But against 2 opponents (i.e. 2 dice), they both must roll a 1 in order for you to win.  The odds of rolling snake eyes, or 1-1, with a pair of dice is 36-to-1.  This means that calling against two players with only ace high and no draws to improve is rarely worth it in limit poker.  Against 3 opponents it's even worse -- plus you may have to fade up to 18 outs on the river which could pair either of your 3 opponent's hole cards, beating your ace high.

Remember, in both scenarios you will still face a decision on the river.  In scenario #1, if your opponent leads again for $4 into the now $20 pot, you're getting better odds to call, but you must take into consideration whether your opponent is going to fire both the turn and river with nothing but a bluff.

Hope that this explains how to easily calculate your equity at the table when facing a turn bet.

QUESTION: That's a good response.  Just a couple more questions.  Live poker do you think only half a big bet an hour is possible because only 30 or 40 hands dealt?  Say I raise 6 handed and you re raise ace king and I cap are you folding turn here to my bet?  Similar situation, I call the 3 bet and check raise flop in that hand are you folding turn here?  Then last question is to a flop raise with 2nd pair is it worth it past turn with one or two players? I never really get many reads.

Q:  Do you think only half a big bet an hour is possible because only 30 or 40 hands dealt?  
A:  Yes.  I would say that 1-2 big bets per hour is possible, depending on your tablemates.

Q:  Say I raise 6 handed and you re-raise with A-K and I cap.  Are you folding turn here to my bet?  
A:  Since you're asking if I would fold on the turn, I have to assume that I re-raised on the flop holding A-K and did not pair up.  I'm not sure I would re-raise in that situation and I certainly may not call your 4-bet without a draw to more than 1 pair.  If I missed the turn, and there was no possible river card to bluff you off your hand, then I would fold to your turn bet holding the nut no-pair.

Q:  Similar situation, I call the 3 bet and check raise flop in that hand.  Are you folding turn here?
A:  Yes.  Again, assuming that the flop and turn did not improve my hand, then I'm folding to your check-raise on the flop and never even seeing the turn.

Q:  To a flop raise with 2nd pair, is it worth it past turn with one or two players?
A:  If you're only draw is to trips or to pair your kicker, then I'd fold when you miss the turn and are facing a bet.  If the turn brings flush or straight draws, then I'd re-evaluate.  Also, if the turn put a believable draw out there that I could bluff you on the river, then I might call.  Also, if the flop was very wet, like J-T-6 with 2 suites, then you might be semi-bluffing with a hand like a flush draw and back door straight draw, say K-9 suited.  Then my A-K might pair up to beat you, I hit a gut-shot Broadway, or, if my ace is the same suit as your cards, I may consider bluffing the river if the flush gets there.  Adding the 2nd player makes it more difficult as hands like A-J or K-T have us drawing very slim against 2 opponents.

The Limit Hold'em section in Super System II is well worth the read.

Vic G

I've been playing poker for over 39 years and have played professionally for the last 8 years. I can answer just about any poker related question you have from rules to strategy, from home games to poker rooms, and from tournaments to cash games. I can also recommend a number of poker books from the educational to non-fiction to autobiographies. I also have one of the largest collection of $1 casino chips in the world, so if you have questions about casino chip collecting or about specific casinos or poker rooms, I can assist you with those questions as well.

I've been playing poker for over 39 years and have played professionally for the last 8 years.

Ante Up magazine: October 2008

Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from Rutgers College of Engineering. MBA in Management Science from Wright State University.