Poland/Polish names

Dear Stephen,

I am doing some research on my Polish family and would really appreciate some help with how their names might have been spelled and what they sounded like.

We learned our great grandfather's last name from some information written by our cousin.  He spelled his name as he heard it, and his spelling was Opchitsky.  So I am not at all sure how it was spelled.

Do you know if the name that sounds Opchitsky would more likely be spelled Oszecki or Osecki?

I am curious how  the pronunciation of these 2 names differs.  Can you tell me how you would pronounce each of them: Oszecki, Osecki?

The person we are researching was born in Golub, Prussia in 1832.  Does his birthplace make it more likely that his name was spelled one of those 2 ways?  If so, which spelling is more likely, Oszeicki or Oseicki?

Or would you suggest a different spelling for the name which sounds Opchitsky?

I'd also like to ask about his wife's name.  She was born in 1840 in Congress Poland.  My cousin wrote her last name as Kushnevich.  That is how he heard it.  I would love to know how it might have been spelled in Polish.  And I would love to know what it sounds like when it is spoken.

I know these are hard questions and you might not be able to help me with them.  If that is the case and you can suggest someone else who might be able to help, I'd welcome your suggestions.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Dear Ellen

thanks for the question. I will need some time to investigate this. My partner here is a Polish Phylologist and loves this type of work.

Also the reference to the location of Golub which is close to where I live is really fascinating. It is today known as Golub-Dobzyn. One town on a river but was originaly the border between the Russian and Prussian sectors of partitioned Poland after the end of the 18th Century, so originally two towns and the architecture on each side of the river very different even today.

His wife still today would be know as a congressowka,from the south of the Wisla river, from the Russian sector at that time and still today has very different architecture and cuisine. Very poor land and hard living conditions in her time.

As you probably know the Polish alphabet does differ from the English on and they generally do not display too well on an English computer. Can you send me your direct e-mail so I can print out the results of our investigations, scan the Polish letters and spelling and send it to you?

My direct e-mail is stephen.morgan@wp.pl

Best regards

Steve Morgan

Stephen Morgan

Travel, security,legal,real estate,language,driving,hotels,food,cooking,eating out,culture,dating,relationships,finance and banking,importing,exporting,medical tourism.

I am an English citizen my first visit to Poland was in 1996. I moved here permanently in 2004,now have a licensed real estate business,property investment business and tourist business. I have renovated an apartment block, run a hotel here and now live in a 16th century manor house in rural Poland when not in my City centre apartment.

'A' levels in Pure and Applied Maths and Physics Bsc Production Engineering Diploma in Industrial Studies