Polish Language/Translating "Child of God" into Polish

Question
I'm currently doing a project at school about heritage and I'm 50% percent Polish.  The project is to come up with a saying or quote that describes you but it has to be it your nationalities language. The saying that I want translated is "Child of God" in Polish. I found a lot of different variations online but I thought I would ask you guys because I need it to be precise according to the polish language. Thanks again for your help.

Answer
Dear Christian

the phrase you want can be translated into Polish in two ways, and it is so commonly used in Poland.

The first (more common) is "dziecię Boże", the second is "dziecko Boże", they differ in the choise of word they use for "child" - the first one is an older one (less common in daily speech apart from this expression, and a few others), the second one is the one commonly used nowadays in daily situations (except for this situation and a few others). Both have the same word for "God's" - "Boże" (in Polish it is an adjective of the word "God"). In Polish we do not have a word that corresponds to the English "of" - we use Genitive (like the Saxon Genitive: "God's") instead - or an adjective, like here.

Pay attention to the special Polish letters (for a full list of specific Polish letters see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Specific_Polish_letters

The word "dziecię" has as the last letter the Polish nasal "e" written with an "ogonek" or litte tail below its end - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%98. It is usually pronounced as "eng" or "en" or "eny" or "em" depending on the context (next consonant within the same word) - here however it is in the last place of the word so it is pronounced as a simple "e", that is the English "e" in "get" (I will mark it as "eh" so that you don't think it is pronounced like an English "e" in "me"; Polish "e" is NEVER pronounced this latter way, it is always pronounced the former way)

The word "Boże" has as the third letter the specific Polish "z with a dot above" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BB (do not mix this letter with another Polish specific letter "z with acute accent" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%B9).
The letter "ź" is pronounced like the English "zh" in Brezhnev, or English "s" in measure.

This word should be capitalized, as it refers to God, the first word (child) - not necessarily.

Now the pronunciation of the words. The CAP-it-a-lized syllable is the one stressed.

dziecię [JEH-cheh] "j" as in "Jim", "ch" as in "cheap", both "eh"'s as "e" in in "get"

dziecko [JEHTZ-koh] "tz" as "z" in "pizza", "k" as in "key", "oh" as "o" in "Bob" or as "aw" in "law" (if in your area you pronounce them differently, take the word "law" as the pattern).

Boże [BOH-zheh] "B" as in "Bob", "oh", "zh" and "eh" as explained earlier above.

I would recommend to you to use the first phrase. It has a more specific traditional religious character. Another common phrase where you use the word "dziecię" instead of "dziecko" is "Pójdź dziecię, ja cię uczyć każę" [POOYJ JEH-cheng, YAH cheng OO-chich KAH-zheng] - "Come, Oh child, I shall let you be educated".

Have a good class presentation!

All the best

MAciej  

Polish Language

Maciej St. Zięba