Polish Language/Great Grandparents nicknames

Question
I knew my Great Grandfather as "Doch" and my Great Grandmother as "Boosha". I believe the spellings are phonetic, however, I have old 35mm slides that are labeled "Doch".  I believe my Great Grandfather's given name was Andrzej and I have Frances for my Great Grandmother.  An early census states that "Doch" was born in Russia and spoke Polish, while "Boosha" was born in Germany and spoke Polish.

Any assistance with the spelling/translation of "Doch" and "Boosha" would be appreciated.

Thank You

Answer
Dear Tom

There is no problem with "Boosha" - it is an abbreviation of the Polish diminutive "babusia" pron. [bah-BOO-shah], meaning "grandma". This form is quite common among Polish Americans (you can find many discussions of this word and its usage among my previous posts). It is however practically unknown in Poland - here we rather say "babcia" [BAP-chah]; "babusia" is met, as a diminutive, along with "babunia", but we do not make such an abbreviation thereof.

On the contrary the "Doch" (to rhyme with "watch", if I understand well) is a difficult thing. If thinking by analogy to "boosha", were it supposed to be an abbreviation of the diminutive for "grandpa", I would rather expect it to be "dosh" or even "doosh" (from "dziaduś" pron. [JAH-doosh]).
Otherwise it might as well be a "private" family nichkname of the origin obscure to anyone outside. No Polish word - name, or common adjective or substantive - comes into my mind that might resemble this nickname to be its source. It might be that the nichkname originated already in America, so you might search for an English word.

"Andrzej" is Polish for Andrew, and is pronounced [AHND-zhay].
"Frances" is in Polish "Franciszka" [fran-CHEESH-kah].

The fact the one of your grandparents was born in "Russia" and the other in "Germany" and they both spoke Polish is of no wonder as between 1795 and 1918 Poland was partitioned among Austria, Russia, and Prussia (later: Germany).

All the best

MAciej

Polish Language

Maciej St. Zięba