Polish Language/Pronunciation of the name "Kasia"

Question
Maciej,

My girlfriend uses the name Kasia, as endearment for Katarzyna. I was always pronouncing it "kasha", as she told me to. Now some Poles laugh at me saying that I call her "cereal" or "groats".
So how should I pronounce it.

Regards

Luis

Answer
Dear Luis,

This is a really hard point about the Polish pronunciation.

Polish has two sounds which for some practical reasons could be rendered as corresponding to English "sh". In fact, none of them is like English "sh", as English "sh" is pronounced half way between them.

We have a hard, postalveolar "sz" and we have a soft, palatal "ś".
The hard sound is pronounced more or less like the English "sh" if followed by a back vowel, say "o" or "a", like in shop, shut, should. It is very similar to German "sch".

The soft sound is pronounced more or less like the English "sh" if followed by a front vowel, say "ee" or "i", like in she, shield, sure. It's as if a very short "y" (of "yard") entered between the "sh" sound and the following vowel. It somehow resembles the German "ich-Laut", or Chinese "x", or Norwegian "kj".

The hard "sz" is in most cases written "sz", like in: mysz, szafa, sztorm, wszystko.
sometimes it is written as "rz" when this digraph follows one of the following: k, p, t, ch, like in krzyk, oprze, trzeba, chrzan.

The soft "ś" is written
- as ś (s with an acute sign), if it appears in the final position or before a consonant, like in: ktoś, śnieg, świetny,
- as si, if it appears before a vowel, like in: siano, siebie, Zosiu, siorbie,
- as s, if it appears before the vowel "i" (otherwise, it is the second situation, only the "i" is not written double), like in: sina, kosi, posiwiał.

So in "Kasia" (a girl's first name) we have the soft sound, and in "kasza" (cereal) we have the hard sound. We have many such pairs and for us distinguishing them is very easy, yet I believe it might be hard for an unaccustomed English speaking person.

Try pronouncing "Kasia" as if you were pronouncing the word "acacia", only without the initial "a".

All the best

MAciej

PS. To tell you more, we have a similar situation with two sounds resembling English "ch" (hard "cz" and soft "ć/ci"), English "j" (hard "dż" and soft "dź/dzi") and English "zh", or the "s" of "leisure" - or voiced counterpart of the "sh" (hard "ż" and "rz"; soft "ź/zi").  

Polish Language

Maciej St. Zięba