Polish Language/Kusibaba - Polish "curse"? No, surname

Question
I have a friend who used to use the polish phrase "Kushibaba" ... I have no idea if I spelled that correctly.  Do you have any idea what that means, and, is it a curse as some have said?

Answer
Dear Ronald

I would spell this word as "kusibaba". As far as I know it is not a curse, it is simple one of the surnames present in Poland, it is not a very common one, but cam be met with in Southern Poland. Look into Google for "Kusibaba".
The surname is of Persian-Turkish origin, it's original meaining is "the senior of the drummers" (kusi = drummer < kus = drum; baba = father, senior, chief).

But it might be used as a curse by someone with some wits, because of the fancy sound, and because the word sound as if a Polish compound noun meaning "woman-tempter" (the one who is tempting women) (kusić = to tempt; the shortened form used in compounds before the verb's object = kusi; baba = woman (in nowadays Polish the word "baba" has a slightly pejorative meaning: a hag, and old or ugly woman; in older times and still in regional Polish it's just a simple "woman" or "wife").

So "kusibaba" would be a compound created like: liczykrupa (griat-counter or crumb-counter = a miser), moczymorda (snout-soaker = a drunkard), obszczymurek (wall-pisser = a vagabond), paliwoda (water-burner = a liar).

Kusibaba sounds like woman-tempter, compare "woman-hunter", or another Polish compund noun: "bawidamek" = woman-teaser (playboy, gigolo).

But woman-tempter can also mean = a devil. NB. One of the nicknames of the devil in popular Polish mythology and folkore is "Kusy" wich cam mean "a short one" or "a lame one", but in fact it has come into being as an abbreviation of "Kusiciel" - "the Tempter". In old times people were afraid of using the whole word, for the fear of calling the Evil one to the spot. So they have used nicknames instead (same as the were not using the old-Slavic "orsza" (a bear, sompare Latin "ursus") but have used the nickname "miedjed" = honey-eater, instead, and when the word has changed (phonetically) into "niedźwiedź", having lost its relation to the original meaning, this word has beome taboo again among the huters, who use the word "miś" = furry, or teddy - in order not to call the dangerous bear by his name.

So back to "Kusibaba" - someone might have used it as a (very light) curse, like "O, devil", or "O, hell", or else just like a filler between the words, because it sounds funny. Only the friend of yours could answer why he is using it. No dictionary of Polish language, or dialects, or slang has recorded this word as a curse. But language is a vivid thing, you know!

All the best

MAciej

Polish Language

Maciej St. Zięba