Political Collectibles/Political buttons

McKinley button- front
McKinley button- front  

10% Pin
10% Pin  
Hi-- this is two part since I have two political buttons I am unable to find information about. I got them at an estate sale in Preston County, WV. I am curious about estimated values for these items.

1) 1896 William McKinley campaign button-- profile photo of McKinley and the slogan, "I am a Democrat (top) But Will Vote (on sides) WM McKinley." Back piece is stamped, "J.W. Durham MFG CO. PHILA." It seems this might be a rare find? The history of this election is very interesting, particularly in West Virginia-- one source reporting election-related murders. The item likely belonged to a West Virginia resident. (See pics)

2)Political tab-- red, white, and blue. Has 10% printed on front. ooks like manufacturer stamp is from Rochester, NY. any idea where this tab originated? What does "10%" represent? (See pics)

Hi Adam:
Thank you for your question. McKinley buttons tend to be the most common of the buttons pre 1929. It's often considered the golden age of buttons when the manufacturing process of producing buttons really came into its hayday. The slogan is one that is also common, but typically you see it without a photo of the President so this one is somewhat unusual. Condition is very important to collectors andit looks like this one has seen better days, but still very collectible. I would estimate its value in the $30 -$40 retail range.

As for the "10" lapel tab, I believe the "10" refers to the percentage of income a person pledged to purchase war bonds during World War II. The retail value is in the $5 - $10 range.

I hope this information is helpful. It always amazes me that items that are more than 100 years old don't have greater value - but I truly believe that someday they will.

Lori Ferber Collectibles
Scottsdale, Arizona

Political Collectibles

Lori Ferber

I would be happy to answer questions regarding the value of political and presidential memorabilia and collectibles. This includes such items as campaign buttons, posters, inaugural invitations, presidential autographs, newspapers, magazines, white house memorabilia, white house christmas cards, campaign posters, one-of-a-kind presidential items etc. Presidents such as John F Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, Abraham Lincoln and virtually every President from George Washington to Barack Obama.

My husband and I have been in the political collectibles business for over 37 years (gosh has it been that long!). We have helped thousands of people determine the value of their items and assist them in determining if an item is authentic or a reproduction. We are blessed with the reality that our business is also our passion. One thing you can always count on, is that we will give you our honest opinion of value. Sometimes that may mean a trip to the Caribbean for you and other times it may mean the item, unfortunately, may not have any value. Our company is Lori Ferber Collectibles located in Scottsdale Arizona.

Member of the American Political Items Collectors national association

We are proud members of the American Political Items Collectors association