Political Collectibles/Richard Nixon Letter

Question
Hi, I have a letter dated April 16,1960 from then vice president Nixon to my Grandmother. In this letter he talks about the coming election and goes on to thank her for her work on many elections in the state of Indiana. He says that he hopes to meet her in person to thank her himself. The letter seems more personable than your typical form letter. He signs it, Dick Nixon. What would a letter like this be worth? Thank you, Catherine

Answer
Good morning Catherine. Thank you for your question. You are correct, the key to valuing this type of item is in its authenticity. As you can imagine, the vast majority of presidential and vice presidential signatures are not authentic, since if they signed all the requests there would be no time left to run the country :). Also, the value of signed letters tends to be in direct proportion to the historical content of the letter. For instance, a letter from Nixon talking about the Vietnam War, would have greater value than a thank you letter. Generally speaking, campaign thank you letters are not original since they were sent by the thousands, but sometimes there are surprises. If you would like to send me a photo of the item with a close-up of the signatures  I should be able to tell. If not, i could give you the name of a very good forensic document examiner that we often use. Sincerely, Lori, Lori Ferber Collectibles, www.loriferber.com

Political Collectibles

Lori Ferber