Political Collectibles/Rockefeller letter and 1961 Conference memorandum

Question
Hello- I have a letter dated May 12,1961 from NY state Governor Rockefeller to W.Virginia Governor William Barron regarding a meeting in Washington with other governors and President Kennedy concerning Civil Defense and national security and safety. Apparently the Governor from W.V. did not make the conference so Governor Rockefeller was filling him in on the details. With it I have a copy of the Memorandum for the conference but I don't know if this was presented to the President or if the President gave these to the Governors. I saw a copy of this memorandum online at one point but now I can't seem to find it. I could provide more information, I would just have to get these out of the box they are put away in to check them. Any help you can give me about these would be greatly appreciated as I can't really find anything online. Thank you, Chris

Answer
Hi Chris: I'd be happy to help.
You did not mention if the letter is signed. Unframed letters from Governor Rockefeller tend to fall into the $75 - $150 retail price range if the signature is original. Of course, politicians are notorious for having their secretaries sign most of their letters or they use what is called an auto-pen machine. If its not an original signature, then that value drops to under $25.

The exception is that letters with great historical content command higher prices. For example, a letter from Richard Nixon dicussing the Watergate issue would have a much higher value than a letter that is a simple thank you letter for a phone call.

The memorandum for the conference would probably be a matter of public record (and these days a large percentage of such documents are available free in archives on the internet)

So, I think the key is whether or not there were any significant revelations that were detailed in the letter - for instance references to the Bay of Pigs/Cuba. If not, then i'd say the letter has only minimal value. But items relating to President Kennedy are always of interest to collectors.

Bottom line - read through the letter. If there is information about important events during the Kennedy administration that is not common knowledge, then the letter may have higher value, if not then its either worth the value of the signature if the signature is original, or a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Hope this helps,
Sincerely, Lori
Lori Ferber Collectibles
www.loriferber.com

Political Collectibles

Lori Ferber