Polo/only mares for polo

hello sir. my riding instructor told me that he would like to buy only mares for playing polo. may i know only mares? why not stallions or geldings?

I can only surmise that your riding instructor is either following the traditional lead of playing mares (because if they turn out to be top prospects they can breed additional prospects but there are a great number of geldings and stallions-to a lesser degree, being played.

Alex Webbe

General history questions about the game of polo. Some specific questions relating to polo in Argentina, the United States, Europe, India and China. I do, however, have a deep international network through which I feel comfortable I can field most reasonable questions.

I have been covering polo for over thirty years and am a student in the history of the game. I have an ongoing scholar relationship with the Museum of Polo in Lake Worth Florida and am working on two different books on polo at this writing.

Polo Magazine. The Chicagoan, Palm Beach Daily News, Polo en la Argentina, Polo Times, Polo Post, Polo Down Under, Pololine, PoloZone, Polo International, PQinternational, etc.

University of Denver, 1964-1966 (Vietnam) 1968-1970.