Pond & Water Gardening/missing koi

Nancy wrote at 2008-06-01 01:07:28
We recently had the same problem, first lost 4 koi, then 2 and now with the net over another 3. All gone and the last koi to disappear was about 22 inches. There was a slight gap in one area of the net and it was not tight. We suspect an otter. We have a large pond not to far from our house and a park down the road where otter have been spotted. Other then that, I would have to say a python..We live in florida and have heard of them spreading. We are going to try the video camera at night with some gold fish. It has been a real mystery to us and I want it solved.

Marc wrote at 2008-10-20 19:35:01
Robyn, I just lost over half of the fish in my pond to a fisher. I have caught him twice, when he seems me coming it runs.   I have the pond netted and secured, it makes no difference.  They are destructive, determined animals.  I even tried setting a have-a-heart trap with a piece of fresh talapia; the fisher ignores the trap and keeps going for the pond.  According to Google, fishers do not feed on fish that often - I beg to differ.  I can tell you this, they are creatures of habit.  This ones comes back at the same time daily.  Besides the fish, you also must be concerned about domestic animals.  I just read that fishers can also kill and eat porcupines!

Derek wrote at 2013-03-27 15:24:12
We live in Oakville Ontario just west of Toronto and just lost about 50 pond fish,4 to 8 inches size, to two Fisher cats overnight. The pond ice just melted last week and we saw them mid-day circling our pond which is about 4 feet deep. By next day, the fish were gone.  The fish are coming out of hibernation so may have been slow to escape. This is the second time. I would not raise expensive Koi but instead use Comets or Shibunkins.

Pond & Water Gardening

Robyn Rhudy

I can answer questions regarding goldfish, koi, orfe, minnows, frogs, toads, salamanders, turtles, aquatic insects, snails, shrimp, other aquatic animals, algae, aquatic plants, winterizing, pond maintenance, pond setup, pond problems, and more. I am not as good on the actual construction of ponds and with pond equipment such as pumps and filters but know the basics.

I have eight ponds and four aquariums. My largest 1800 gallon pond was built in 1997. Since then, I set up a web site on my animals, fish, and ponds. My pond web site (fishpondinfo.com) is huge, award-winning, and has spawned a free pond e-newsletter and a book on ponds. I am well known and respected in the on-line pond community.

Mid-Atlantic Koi Club

I am quoted in an article in Aquarium Fish (May 2003). I published my own book on ponds in 2001. I wrote an article for the Jan/Feb 2004 issue of Organic Gardening on tub ponds.

Masters degree in analytical chemistry; many people consider me a pond expert