Pond & Water Gardening/None

I'm recently considering to make an outdoor pond because I believe I do have a lot of infrastructure for it. I have a cemented area which, when filled with water can make a god tank. But here's my plan.

1. I plan to keep ducks so that the birds can have an area for swimming and an outdoor pond would also look good.

2. It hass 5' depth, 5' width and 8' length. But I have a concern that so much water could multiply the growth of mosquito so I'm also planning on getting some fish to eat the mosquito lavae.

3. What other issues do I have to deal with such as filtration, oxygen pump etc?

Dear Jem,

Thank you for your question.
I think, as you want to make a natural looking pond and if you choosing for a very reduced amount of fish and lots of plants it can be OK.
However you need to monitor the pond by doing watertests, control algae and make sure there is water movement all the time 24/7.
However I need to mention my expertise is not the natural ponds as I am more in to koi ponds and water features, gardening etc.

Hope it helps.
Please do not hesitate to contact me again if you have more questions.

Kind regards,
Raf Segers

Pond & Water Gardening

All questions related to pond, filtering, waterquality, Japanese koi, koi health. Also I can provide help with gardendesign and flowering.

Chief editor (hobbyist) and founder of a Dutch free Pond&Koi e-magazine. www.koimaster.be (my website)

www.vijversenkoi.be/emagazine.php www.kwbrauw.be www.koimaster.be

Onderox magazine

Former student of a gardening school and specialised in Flowerdesign. Former student of Artschool, specialised in publicity art.