Pontiac Repair/wiper linkage 98 grand prix

KJ wrote at 2012-12-18 15:44:25
Todd here is an update on this repair...

GM has since changed te part no. on the wiper motor crank arm is now GM part no. 12494832. Tis repair must be performed precisely as stated in GM's instruction; for correct operation of the wipers! Purchased parts from GM will included re-assembly instructions...but here is a tip from experience for those DIY muist pay particular attention the distance measurement between the stop tab and the crank arm assembly...for correct operation of the wipers...if the stop tab is bent...a re-alignment of the tab will be required! Most likely from a pervious failure of ice or snow infiltration in this area...bend and re-align the stop tab as it contacts the crank arm asmsembly when the wiper motor returns to the home the stop tab is located on the wiper motor bracket and requires visual inspection...also when bending this tab back into shape...keep in mind the crank arm asm must be able to rotate freely for correct very careful not to bend the tab to far forward or up...that it restricts the free rotation of the crank arm assembly...

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories