Pontiac Repair/2000 sunfire

QUESTION: we have  a 2000 sunfire and when it gets cold out the dash does not work right tach and speedo and other gauges dont work right i pull the dash fuse and sometime it returns and works right   all summer it was ok now that it is cold acting up again  any ideal
thanks bob

do you have warning lamps comming on alonf with just the gauges not acting right or is it just strictly the IPC it's self. if it's just the guages and or the odometer dispaly then I would suspect a bad cluster assembly. if you have other things going on I would dig deeper into the issue. eletronics are funny they don't like extreme cold or intense heat. good luck.

QUESTION: no warning lite  jut starts acting up tach speedo and now my wife say fuel gauge also
thanks bob

if there are no warning lamps comming on I would lean towards guessing at just a bad cluster. that car has a data line called uART that the modules share data on it's an in car netwwork. the cluster receives the info for the warning lamps and gauges speedo etc from that network. if for some reason that nework went down the cluster wouldn't receive the messages for the gauges. also if that network line went down all the warning lamps would be going on and or flashing so I think it is getting the messages it needs it's just not displaying what it should. with out seeing it I can't tell you for sure it's just a guess.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories