Pontiac Repair/rear brakes

Question
QUESTION: rear brake locks up and then releases and sounds like abs chatter, this happens without warning while driving and touching the brake. need help? almost thrown off road.

ANSWER: Hi dave:

model and year of car/suv? Any Anti lock warning lamps on?

QUESTION: Vehicle 2000 pontiac Montana, no lamps on, turned off traction control no effect.

Answer
Okay

a few things couls be going on here. if your lucky it's just a bad set of rear brake shoes and fater dittin in damp weather they absorb the moisture when they cool off and sit and when you step on the brake pedal the mositure absorbed causes the shoes to grab the drums. next thing could be leaking wheel cylinders (very likely) and the brak fluid has been absorbed into the sho material  and same thing as the first with the moisture the shoes grab the drums. Last thin is still wheel cylnder related is that the cylinders are seized up and when you let off the pedal the shoes are dragging and then grab the drums too fast. it's one of those 3 things going on. the fact that you turend the traction control off and it still does it would indicate a base brake issue. good luck ;-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio