Pontiac Repair/Rough Idle

I have a 1994 Pontiac Transport that starts but has a problem staying idling when at a stop. i have checked the compression and there is fuel getting to the rail.Could it be a MAF sensor? Is this OBD 1 or 2 to check for the check engine light and how would I check for a problem code. The van has 149,000 miles.

Hi there:

This is obd1 with an obd2 connector under the dash  so you can't flash out trouble codes. stop by one of the big bog auto parts stores and have the van scanned for codes. you said rough idle is it misfiring like it's only running on 4 or 5 cylindrs if that's the case then get a spark checker and check all the coils for spark each coil has 2 cylinders it fires check each wire 1 at a time to see if you indeed have spark on all 6 wires. if you do then next thing to check is injector pulse. you need a "noid" light it's a injetor computer friendly test light unplug each injetor 1 at a time and put the light in the connector for the injetor it shoulkd be flashing at a stead rate for each injetor if not you either have a bad computer or a bad wire going to that injetor. that is a place to start. good luck :-)  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories