Pontiac Repair/SIR Coil on a 99 sunfire gt 2.4l

I have removed my stock steering wheel and changed over to an aftermarket one.  When I did this I removed the SIR coil from the steering column with no intentions of putting back on.  Now I am told I need that.

Could you help me confirm if I do need that and what is tied to it if that is the case.  I have found another way to hook up horn so if that is the only reason I am ok but some one told me it affects all my grounds from inside the car.  Just very concerned.

Hi Jason:

yes you need that it goes along with the air bag obviously the aftermarket steering well will not accomidate the inflator module. so now the air bag will not work and the light is on and probably the horn doesn't work either all that good stuff goes though the sir coil and works in conjunction with it. so you need to put it all back on in order for the light to go off and the horn to work. IOt doesn't effect any gound other then the horn ground path. if this was my car I wouoldn't drive it around with out the air bag system hooked up and working properly. But that's just me. It on there from the factory for a reason safety. good luck :-}

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories