Pontiac Repair/transmission wont shift

Question
I have a 2002 pontiac grand prix se 3.1 v6 the other day i added 1/2 a qrt of transmission fluid and my shifting problems started..I thought maybe I added too much fluid so I decided to drain pan and change the filter while i was there. I drained a little more than 4 qrts and added 5 took it for a spin and it shifted great, came back and checked fluid and dipstick read 1 qrt low so i added it and now the transmission is back to not shifting out of 1st..Its not slpipping its whining out @ 4000 and will only shift with some coaxing should i drain another qrt or am i wasting my time???please help asap please!

Answer
Hi sean:

start the car and let the fluid warm up and check it it should be in the cross hatch area on the dip stick if it overfilled by a little that's okay if it's underfilled that can cause issues usually with that 4 speed rrasnmission it takes almost 7 quarts with a filer change not 5. none the less if the fluid is close to being full it should be stuck in first gear and not up shift. can you manually up shift it by starting in L and as the speed increases pus the shifter up and will it up shift into 2 and then into 3'rd? if not that is an issue internal to the transmission and it's not anything your going to be able to do to fix it. It could be a sticking vlave in the valve body or a bad shift solenoid in the valve body. Or worse a burt up set of clutches. Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio