Pontiac Repair/PassKey or Starter Problem

I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 3.8 liter. It will not crank. When the key is in the on position all lights inside and out are one. Turn to start and all the dash goes black but Headlights stay on. Have replaced the battery and ignition switch. With the key on I jumped across the starter and it spins but does not crank over the engine. Is this a starter or a passkey issue.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Brian:

Yes it counds like it is. replacing the key could contribute to your issue. the key needs to be learned to the car. when you try to start the car does the DIC above the radio say anything like "security" or diaplay any kind of message? in order for a new key to be learned the car has to start. the way a key is learned is you crank and start the car turn the key off and and then quickly insert the new key and crank the car over again and it will learn the new key. Also with the new key depending on the factory security system make sure the new key has the same marking on it the shank of the old key sohould have a PK3 or a + make sure the new one has the same markings. Another thing to look at on these cars is the main body ground it's under the hood bu the under hood fuse block on the fram rail make sire the wire is clean and the bolt is tight on the body that gound causes lots of issues!!!! good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories