Pontiac Repair/PCM

QUESTION: What will happen if I take out the fuse for the PCM?  I have been having trouble with my car starting lately.  I changed the battery in my fob, but then it happened again a couple of days later.  If I remove the fuse, will this affect anything else on my car?

ANSWER: Hi jeanne:
what model and year is this? a fuse labled PCm is for the engine control module (computer) so if you pull that fuse the car wil not start and depending on the model it may not even crank. what exactly is the issue here the remote start doesn't work? or it will not start?

QUESTION: It's a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am, 6 cyl.  Last week the car wouldn't start, but the radio and lights were fine.  A friend of mine told me to replace the battery in my key fob, so I did.  The car started right up.  It's been about a week, and yesterday the car did it again.  Not sure what happened, but it finally started for me.  I've heard that you can have the anti-theft thingy disabled, but I can't afford to take it to the dealer.  I'm a single mom working 2 jobs.  Looking for an easy fix.

if it will not start or starts and stalls and the security lamp is flashin it's a tehft system issue. the fob has nothing to do with it. if it happens again and the light start to flash at you then leave the key in the run position and turn off the radio blower motor etc. let it sit for 10 minutes after 10 minutes the lamp will either stop flashing and go out or stop flashing and stay on steady. different years do different things with the lamp. then turn the key off wait 1 mionute and then try starting it again. if it starts and runs the issue is withe the ignition lock housing that the key turns in. good luck. :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories