Pontiac Repair/96 grand am battery drain

QUESTION: 96 grand am quad 4 2.4 when battery charged car starts . after sitting for over 4 hrs battery clicks and doesn't start car. after 8 hrs basically dead as door. with ign off and some charge on battery turned heater on and motor started blowing. am thinking control relay but haynes book doesn't show location and prints are not very good. something drains battery. have already replaced battery. starter engages when battery has enough juice in it.

ANSWER: Hi Philip:

anything aftermarket on this car radio/remote start alarm etc? if so disconnect all those things first! if it doesn't have anyo f those things. then you need to do a parasitic draw test. do a Google search for that and once you have a meter hooked up and are check for a draw for about 20 minutes you will have a draw of about 80 milliamp that is normal anything above that you have a draw. after 20 minutes it should drop below 20 milliamp. if that draw is excessive and I'm sure it is your going to have to start pulling fuses 1 and a time to see what fuse the dar is on and go from there. I'll assume you have the charging system checked on this the big box auto parts stores will do a charging system analysis for free in hopes you will buy a battery or alternator from them.  good luck :)

QUESTION: I'm thinking heater control relay since blower came on when car ignition was turned off. don't have clue on location. took alternator to advance and checked ok. noticed relays around pass side firewall behind strut . any idea if these are for heater/blower mtr/a/c? been chasing my tail since june on this one.

the relay for the blower motor is either on that strut assembly or on the firewall. look for one that has the color wire that goes to the blower motor. the power feed for the blower motor from the relay I believe is purple. my online service manulas do not go back that far only to 1998.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories