Pontiac Repair/Help Please

I have a 1999 grand prix gt with a 3.8 non supercharged motor, The srs airbag light, trac off light, and the abs light come on and go off and when this happens it will shut my headlights off until they go out but it only kicks them off on low beam any ideas what could be causing this?

Hi andrew:

it sounds like you either have a bad ignition switch or a bad power feed going to the ignition switch. when it's acting up you going to have to check for powper battery volatge to the fuses in the fuse box. if you have less then battery voltage to the fues you have high resistnace somehwre between the battery and the fuses. the most likley cuase is the ignition switch. second most likely place is the pass thru in the fire wall under the glove box. The power feeds have a tendency to corrode in that area. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories