Pontiac Repair/new fuel pump

We just installed new fuel pump on 1990 pontiac 3.1L and it was really noisy and was ran good for a little and about 5 miles into it it died and was hard to start. it would die at stop lights and really annoying. After a few fits like this it stopped the noise and started running really good. Now there is no noise and it is not dying. Could it have been something going through the filter because the tank was almost empty from changing the pump and filter? Also I tried to donate but it is through paypal and I do not use due to my bank account being wiped out through it. How can I donate otherwise?

sounds like possably a bad pump? was it  AC delco or aftermarket? if it seems fine now I wouldn't screw around with it unless there is an issue. Yes it could have picked up some debris from the botton of the tank. being that the car is now 23 years old I'm sure there is/was dirt and debris in the bottom of the tank. as for a fonation not needed but appreciated I do this because I like to do it and help people out. I used this service a few times before I became an expert. It's a good thing! other then the donate icon I have no Idea how to do it. don't bother. write the people here and tell them I helped you out that's good enough!

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories