Pontiac Repair/pontiac sunfire 98 2.2 tps o2

I have a 98 sunfire with the 2200 2.2. Girl friend got the car less 6 moths ago, so far i have done plugs, wires, flue pump, temp sensor, clutch, sub frame, flue filter, brake lines, and so many other things its not funny, has been surging with a tps code low input now o2 code has been stalling out in first and second. also have had with jerking between 35-80 mph. no drop in rpms with just a jerk, it is a northern car with 12x,xxx miles and before i junk it and teach her that mama don't know how to buy cars. i do not know if its going to be a tps sensor or computer it so far has been intermedit and as long as i clear the code or take the battery off and let it sit it runs strong. cleaned injectors but its been having problems with force codes such as misfire codes. Before I tell her im junking it thought i would ask so far got over 5k in it and i told her to junk it first day she got it ( he mother didn't think about taking me along).

Hey Rob:
A few things that car was noted for ecm issue to the point there was a recall for the recm and wire harness to it. it had a corrosion issue with the ecm case and the wire harness going to the ecm. not sating that is the issue but it could be youy can call any Gm dealer and see if that car was included in that recall and if it was ever done. if not it's a free repair for the shiled and possably an ecm. wiring issue would be on you to repair. that being said it could have an issue with one of the other sensors on the 5 volt refrence that feeds the tps. USUALLY tps's do not go bad it's a wiring issue. If on that car say the a/c sensor or the gas tank pressure sensor were to go bad and short it will effect the TPS. with out the use of a true scan tool you out of luck you need this to break and stay broken so you can see what is goin on on the data laist the ecm sees. if indeed it has a tps going bad yes that could cause a stalling condion or a hard start. But if it's anothersensor cuaing the issue it could show up as a TPS when in reality it's not. one thing to look at is the wiring going to the a/c pressure sensor In thin that year or 99 was noted for the wiring to rub though on the body. the sensor is in the hi side a/c line bu the compressor up high by the radator core support see if there is a rub issue there. good luck. For the record these are pretty reliable cars but the salt up here KILLS them!  

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories