Pontiac Repair/Question

Hi I have a1997 grand prix gt coupe 3.8 no super charge
I want to know why is it every time I cut my heat on my head
Lights go out on 1-4 but cut back on 5 and my heat only work
On 5 the highest I change the blower motor Resistor And it's still
Working on 5 now I finna change the heat control switch and my blower
Motor making a loud noise now I finna change that too

Hi Darnell:

Sounds like you have an issue with a power feed or a bad ground. these cars were noted for ignition switch issues. they also had issues with the wire pass-thu between the engine compatrment and inside the car under the blower motor is the pass though that would fill up with water and corrode the wires. there are 2 gound points to check as well there is a ground near the battery tray that is atatched to the body and also on the driver side by the strut tower there is another on that section of the frame. Without seeing this it's hard to say what the issue is. Of course also check your battery cable connections. In very rare cases I have seen the connetor for the blower motor melt on the back of the heater control module and cause issues as well. Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories