Pontiac Repair/Cranks Doesn't Start Yesterday Today Starts But Misfires

Last night my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix would crank, but NOT start. Today, it started, but ran rough with the "check engine" light on. An auto parts store diagnostic said "misfire". An ignition coil was replaced, but the problem continued. Mechanic now wants to replace Ignition Control Module because he says "that's the only other thing it could be". Before I spend more money, is he right? Thanks.
(Only 47,800 miles on car.)

Hi Thomas.

We he could be right if you have an issue with 2 cylinder on the same coil are dead. the ICM controls the coils. each coil runs 2 cylinders in you have 2 dead cylinders and they are on the same coil then yes he's right. if you have 2 dead cylinders and they don't share the same coil he's wrong. Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories