Pontiac Repair/Pontiac Grand prix 2008

My son changed out his radio and unfortunately he forgot to unplug the battery. He thought he needed a jump but that did not work. I think he may have shorten a circuit. The car will not start and there are no lights. What shall he do?

Hi Linda:

well changing a radio should make it not start unless something was hooked up wrong. does it have battery power meaning you open the doors and the dome lights work. turn on the head lights and the lights turn on. if so so it's not a baterry issue. the radio on that car is tied into the computer data stream so if the wire for the data stream was connected to the wrong wire for the radio it couls cause a no start. have him take the radio back out and unplug the radio and see if the car starts is it does that's the issue. The data stream wire on that car is a dark green wire. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories