Pontiac Repair/05 sunfire ignition system

vehicle cranks, but has no spark. have 12v at ign. module

Hi Bruce:

do you have ground there as well? I'll assume you have no spark on all 4 cylinders? this system is a bit complex and with out the aid of a true scan tool your sort of out of luck. the crank position sensor sends a a/c volatge signal to the engine computer and the engine computer will then send the coil control message to the Ignition module. If you have no spark on any of the cylinders it can be a module/computer/crank sensor or a wiring issue. if you had a scan tool you could see on the data list engine speed while cranking the engine over at least you would know if you are indeed getting an rpm signal to the computer. without that your out of luck that is one of the very first checks in the trouble tree to fix a cranks but no start no spark. One last though does this have injector pulse? Are the spark plugs wet from gas and you cranking it? if the plugs are wet then your getting injetor pulse and that would mean that the engine computer sees the rpm input and that would narrow down the possable causes of this. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories