Pontiac Repair/1999 pontiac grand am gt

At a  fresh start, within minutes car will overheat to 230 +..turn vehicle off and hear gurggling...Thursday I would get warm heat for a while , then it would blow cold.
Friday, same problem, but no heat at all, had to run fan full blast to keep motor temp. at 200.
Just had all new lifters installed, mechanic said the heads were okay because he did a pressure test???
Help..I just paid $950 on repairs, but have the same problems as I had before the repair.

Hi brenda:

sounds like a head gasket issue. What you discribed to me is classic symptoms of a blown head gasket or even worse a cracked head from driving it while it's over heating. the aluminum parts in that engine don't take too kindly to be ing over heated. With out seeing it I can't tell you for sure but I wouldn't keep driving it when the engine is cold check the coolant level and top it off if it's low. also pull the dip stick out and check the engine oil if it looks cloudy white or milky colored DO NOT DRVIE it coolant is mixed into the oil and it will damage the engine if you keep driving it that way. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories