Pontiac Repair/anti theft 1996 pontiac sunfire

I just recently replaced steering column with different ignition key. Motor starts for one second and dies out. Security light flashes for 10 seconds and stays on. How can I reprogramm security system?

Hi Horst:

simple fix. turn off all the power consuming things like the radio and HVAc blower motor. start the car and let it die leave the key in the run position for 10 minutes after that the lamp will stop flashin and either go out or just stay on steady. turn the key to off wait 1 minute start the car and it should run. The lamp may stay on during that key cycle or it may not but bottom line is it should start and run. the smart cluster (speedo) will then have learned the security voltage out of the swapped ignition column's pass key sensor. you should be good to go then. Good Luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories