Pontiac Repair/Fuel Pump stuck on

Question
QUESTION: I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.7L. The fuel pump is stuck on without the key in the ignition. I checked the relay and it is good. I really have no idea where to troubleshoot from here, any help or ideas would be appreciated.

ANSWER: Hi andy:

j
just so I under stand first off you have a 3.8 liter engine is this the base engine or the super charged engine? the pump runs all the time with the key off so it will drain the battery because the pump will not shut off? you pulled the fuel pump relay and the pump continues to run? ? Lets start there.

QUESTION: 3.8L base engine.
The fuel pump runs constantly, even without the key in the ignition causing the battery to drain. When I remove the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump shuts off. I bought a new relay and also tried switching relays with the horn.
Thank you for the quick response! 38

Answer
Okay. if the pump turns off when the pump relay is removed then you either have a shorted wire betwwen the under hood fuse box and the ecm to ground or a bad engine control module. A rubbed though wire harenss could be the culprit. take a loog along the wire harenss from the engine control module which is in the air cleaner box and follow that harness across the engine to the fues box and then also down along the a/c lines and up by the radiator I would bet money your going to fic the harness is rubbed though against something metal and that is keeping the relay grouned and the pump running. I highly doubt you have a bad engine control module. good luck :)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio