Pontiac Repair/passlock I / BCM

Question
I was given a 98 Sunfire same as Cavalier. it has Passlock I there is no chip in the key that's passlock II & Vats. I purchased a bypass module several relays and extensive instructions with pictures. I can not get past the first step which is determining the OHM value fro the BCM. I have exposed the yellow wire from the 3 wire passlock ribbon wire. I cut it and attached my Multi meter to it with ohms set to 20k. I put the black lead to the middle black wire in the same harness. the readings I get with the key in the run position is 4. - 19. I have checked the bulb test wire to see if it has ground with key off and it doesn't at least not if you check it with a continuity tester it does measure 1.66 resistance so it isn't open. I have cycled the bulb ground while testing the ohms of the BCM but no difference numbers are still jumping.is this indicating a bad BCM, bad ground, bad lock cylinder, bag ignition switch. i'm stumped. thanks for listining

Answer
Hi Robin:

I have never jumpered that system before. you don't need relays or anything fancy. all you need is a resistor that is rated at a higer wattage. just jumpoer across the yellow to black wires at the cylinder assembly roughly a 2.2K ohm resistor should do it. then learn the new volatge and it sould start and run after it learns the jumper you put in.  take in mind this though you bypassed the system so the car can be stolen simply by turning the lock cylinder by just jumpering the system. that bypass kit you have I have no idea how that works it may be the same way that your can can be stolen pretty easily. it would just be easier to buy a new lock cylinder assembly and just replace the housing that comes in the lock cylinder kit.

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio