Pontiac Repair/1989 pontiac grand am 2.3

Question
i have a 1989 2.3 grand am pontiac , it has a slight miss and loss of power . i have had it checked out by a mechanic and he can not find the problem . can toy give me any suggestions ?

Answer
Hi David:

well a mis fire can be caused by a lot of things mechanical issue. spark or fuel. doe it have a dead misfire like it only running on 2 or 3 cylinders or just a slight miss? my guess would be more spark or fuel. a lean (plugged) injector could be your issue. You can try a couple of bottles of Chevron Techron fuel system treatment it's about 5 or 6 $ a bottle you can get it at any Wal*Mart store. see if that helps. if it were spark it would have a more sever miss. a couple of other trhings to look for is maybe a cracked or kinked vacuum hose at the Map sensor on the intake manifold. that is where I would start looking. being that this is so old the engine computer is slow and uaully will not chatch any trouble codes for an intermittant issue. Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio