Pontiac Repair/engine noise

Hi I have a 1997 Grand Prix GTP engine type 1 we have developed a loud uneven clattering noise, seems to be from lower front of engine at an idle, when driving it disappears.
Have removed super charger belt, still noisy, removed main drive belt noise gone.
Replaced that belt and tentioner pulley did not fix problem.

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave:

can you put a long shanged screwdriver on each of the drive belt pulleys and narrow the noise do that way if you put the screwdriver on the component and the other end to your ear you will be able to find the noise that way. It may be the harmonic balancer there is a rubber sleeve between the hub that attaches it to the crank and the pulley that the belt rides on that pulley may be cucking on the hub with thebn belt on it but not when it's off. The water pumps those were noted to go too you would be able to feel that with the belt off turn the puklley by hand or see if it has any play up and down or in and out. with out seeing it or hearing it I can only guess. Good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories