Pontiac Repair/Pontiac Montana elictriacal system

I was driving to work this morning and the all my lights turned off and on a few times, After this the battery warning light came on. The engine continued to run normal. Started with no problems after eight hours of being parked. The battery light on the dash remains on. Where should I start to repair this problem.

Hi Steven:

is just the battery light on no other warning lights? If that is it it's some sort of a alternator charging issue. You can stop by one of the buig box auto parts stores and have the van scanned for codes for free and see if there are any charging related codes stored. If so there could be an issue with the control (turn on ckt) for the alternator or it could be a bad alternator. If you keep driving around with that light on the battey will eventually die due to the laternator not charging. The system is a bit complex being that the engine computer controls the charge rate of the alternator. I don't know why the light went on and off and on again. I can tell you that one those vans there were issues with the batteries leaking acit out onto the battery cables and causing a bad connection both the older montana Pre 2005 and the montana SV6 as well. you can see it on the SV6 becaue it has top post battery cables the older side post batteries you can see it it build up between the battery and the cable. good luck :-)

Pontiac Repair

Todd Puccio

General auto repair,electrical issues,driveability issues,anti-lock brakes,SIR systems,HVAC,engine performance,Gm specific. I have worked at my current dealership since the 1990 model year anything much older than that I have limited exposure to. I do not have very much transmission experience so those question you may want to ask of another expert. When you send me a question let me know the exact make/model/engine and year for the car or suv you have it makes it easier to answer the questions that way. If your happy with the answer I gave you please feel free to Donate. This is a free service to you and I am not compensated at all by this web site. I have 22 years of experience to share with you and my knowledge wasn't free to me. I had to pay for my education.

Experience in the area: I have been a technician in GM dealerships for over 22 years and I am a ASE master technician. I work at a Buick and GMC truck store Previously I worked at a Pontiac GMC store for 18 years. I Served a a lead technician when dealership was on a team system. I just recently moved to a Buick,Hummer,Saab Store when my franchise was purchased by this dealership. Organizations: ASE master technician

Education/Credentials:High school diploma,2 year vocational school degree 2 year college degree. Associates degree in applied sciences (auto technology)Awards and Honors: GMC master technician

Master GMC truck technician Master ASE technician in 9 categories